Chloroform is a widely used organic compound with the chemical formula CHCl3. It is a colourless and sweetly fragranced liquid also known as Trichloromethane. It was used as an early anaesthetic in surgery and dentistry and for this reason those working with the material should avoid inhaling its vapours.
Because of its toxicity, you can’t buy chloroform on Amazon. However, you can purchase products on the history of chloroform.
Nowadays Chloroform has a number of important uses such as:-
- In chemistry it is used in organic separation
- In plastics manufacturing it is used in the bonding process
- It is used in organic synthesis
- It is used as a precursor in Teflon manufacturing (non-stick)
- In the first World War Chloroform was used as a chemical weapon